Anglo losses

By | 19th March 2010

Inspired by a visualisation done last year of $1 trillion, I spent a little time playing with Google Sketchup to try and understand just how much money Anglo (ie the public) is expected to lose in its latest fiscal year. So I started with the average male as used in Sketchup (let’s call him Seanie) and drew him next to €1 million in €100 bills, to scale:

Screen shot 2010-03-19 at 10.29.52

Next here’s Seanie next to €10 million:

Screen shot 2010-03-19 at 10.33.34

And now Seanie next to €100 million, on a standard euro sized pallet:

Screen shot 2010-03-19 at 10.35.06

And oh yes, Seanie next to €1 billion, in cool hard cash:

Screen shot 2010-03-19 at 10.36.52

And finally, Seanie next to the lower end projected losses for Anglo: €11 billion:

Screen shot 2010-03-19 at 10.39.45

Nice.

22 thoughts on “Anglo losses

1. Colette

Nice indeed. Seanie’s ego would be at least twice the size of the €11bn stack though….

2. Caelen

3. McG

That’s cool and all, but what I’d really like to know is how many roads, schools, hospitals, parks, renewable energy projects, universities, etc. could we have built with all that cash.

4. Mylesnag

Interviewed…thus far, not yet arrested…the Jury is out…(as are the long knives)

5. Leonard

I’m an accountant, and I was still shocked by this illustration!!

Well done on the new site Gavin.

6. Pingback: Forex News – Canadian Dollar Benefits from Poor U.S. Data

7. Tom

I don’t know what a tracker mortgage is………

but I do know some people in the regulators department royally fu**ed up. Are these the same people that got a reduced pay reduction bcos they lost there bonus

1. Mark Coughlan

No, different group. That was assistant secretaries in the civil service.

8. Michael

This should be put on all the main bridges and hung from as many highrise buildings as possible.

9. Michael

Just imagine if, the Government borrowed this amount, say back before the bubble started to inflate, and used it for productive purposes, How prosperous the country would be now.

10. Denry Machin

You’ve just got to hate the way business is conducted here. Nice images though. Well done.

11. Pingback: Me Blog! » Putting things into perspective

12. Pingback: Anonymous

13. Eoghan

“can you complete this to include the total projected losses to be burdened by the Irish tax payer for all the banks”

Steady on there – I’ve only got a 17″ screen.

14. SC

Remind me to send a thank-you note to Messers Lenihan and Cowen for writing that unlimited guarantee for Anglo and the rest in Sept 2008. Nice work guys. I’m sure my grandchildren will thank you once they clear off the debt.

15. Carmel

Maybe we could have the Gold Circle members included in the illustrations – along with their politically connected friends and their debts to us too.